Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Superheroes and Superdelegates

I was glad to hear today that people are overestimating the differences between demographics voting for Clinton and Obama. Senator Claire McCaskill, an Obama supporter, is not deterred by ideas that this close and tough Democratic campaign has done any kind of irreparable damage to the party, and I think deep down, I agree. Still, I hope blacks turn out - at this point, I think they'll relish the opportunity for vote for a black candidate for President. I think Obama will be the nominee at this point. I'm kinda sad about it, not gonna lie. But, that being said, I'm done with this whole process, and once again, I'm back to thinking this is all politics as usual.

Basically, I think Senator Obama's right: real change only comes from the bottom up, not the top down. Ironically, he's running for that top position on a message of change. What does that mean? Does he think he's created a political machine here that is going to implement his just-as-moderate-as-anyone-else policy ideas from the street? If he has created a political movement here as he claims (though I do not think he has) and brought a bunch of new people into the political process, they are not going to accept anything less than a revolution with all his talk of change. If things don't change radically, he'll have some big problems, or at least those people will stop being involved in the voting part of the political process. I do not see him as the Democratic messiah. His message, though he speaks of change, is nothing out of the norm.

I'm back from New Hampshire, though now I think I'm coming down with a cold. Figures; I was exhausted yesterday so I took a personal day to get some sleep and drive back to New York with a little more rest, and now I'm getting sick. I'm going to work tomorrow - we'll see how the rest of the week goes. I really hate being sick.

Senator Clinton, who just finished speaking, sounded hoarse and tired. I wish her the best, and I'm still behind her. I have to say, I wasn't behind her idea of canceling the gas tax, but now she's saying she wants the oil companies to pay the tax. I don't know what's right. I have to admit; I'd love to see gas go back down to like $3.40 around here. I say that knowing full well that I have no choice but to pay whatever it is. I can't afford not to drive across the country, even though paying $380 to make that trek will be really, really painful. Cheaper gas won't make me drive more, nor do I think anymore that it will increase demand. After all, it's still really expensive, and all of America has no choice but to pay whatever the price to drive to work or take a vacation. The oil companies have us in a pinch. After all, I cannot ride my bike across the country to move and I cannot afford to buy a new hydrogen or biofuel car right now. So, cut the tax; what the hell. In any case, I'll be paying attention to where the superdelegates go over the coming weeks, reluctantly resigning myself to an Obama victory.

Speaking of superdelegates, I heard a great Science Friday podcast about Ironman and superhero superpowers. Apparently, they are working on a helmet that, when worn, can control a cursor on a computer screen by channeling brain power; basically, telekinetics. I'm very excited about that prospect. They took calls about people's favorite superpowers. What superpower would I want to have? I want to see into the future, specifically into what I'll be doing in 5 or 10 years. Beyond that, I think I'd like the power to "beam" myself from place to place. That would save me a lot in gas money.

No comments: