Friday, December 3, 2010

A New Day!


It's December, folks. That means a few things.

First, it's cold. Even here in Sunny California, it is cold, and wet, and generally miserable.

Second, everyone, including myself, is stressed. I have bought a series of gifts for those in my family, those with whom I keep company, and soon must buy a gift for a coworker that I really like.

Now, I love buying gifts, truly I do. I love the look on a child's - or adult's, because let's be honest, adults get pretty excited, too - face when he or she rips open that present on Christmas Day and it's everything he or she wanted in a gift. I've never been the hero before, and this year, that's changing. Still, worrying about money is stressful.

Which makes vacation planning even more stressful. It's a long ways away, it's a lot - a LOT - of money to consider spending, and it's in a place that I'm completely unfamiliar with, as is the case with many vacations. BUT there is a HUUUGE upside - which is spending 4 days with great friends and my better half in ski paradise.

Apparently, all the best things in life require a struggle. The thing is, you come out on the other side better. Happier. Stronger. Or, in my case, poorer. But it's only money.

Just watched Dan in Real Life, which is my favorite movie of the last 10 years. Before that, for some perspective, my favorite movie was Ever After, recorded off of HBO by my sister for me so many years ago. I think I've officially moved on, however, to Dan in Real Life. A honest, feel-good story about love and its complications with Steve Carell, a genius in so many ways. It makes me laugh out loud, it makes me cry, it makes me wax philosophical. But I'll spare you.

Before watching that movie, it is worth noting that I washed dishes, nearly all of them. Instead of eating dinner, I danced in my living room. Nothing is quite as satisfying of a release as dancing alone, no one watching, judging, or mocking you, for a little exercise. I even recorded myself for a friend who had had a tough night in hopes of getting a laugh. Mission: accomplished. Making an arse of yourself to Justin Bieber will do that. But it's all fun and honestly, who wouldn't enjoy doing that?

Ok, so this wasn't a meaningful post. But hello blog, I've missed you. I'm going to make an honest attempt to keep you somewhat up to date. You are the only place where I can write from the heart and not worry about who I'm channeling. I'm never off the mark when it's only me.

1 comment:

Emma said...

I am so glad you have returned!