Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's The End of July As We Know It

July 31, 2008. Still no job, but I'm increasingly optimistic. I do not know precisely why, but things are nice here, so I'm still OK. I'm churning out cover letters and e-mails at a good pace, and I'm confident something will turn up soon. Not sure whether or not it will be in LA or in San Francisco, but things are not getting worse.

Things I'm not really missing: I have been pretty much ignoring the news lately, and though I do miss my NPR, I'm still enjoying the time away from drones discussing Obama's latest haircut and McCain's latest borefest of a speech at the Gun-Owning Bible Thumper Association (GOBTA for short).

However, I have been listening to just a bit too much coverage of the "energy crisis." Suddenly, gas is almost as expensive as a root canal for Hummer owners, so there is an oil crisis. And what do these brilliant civil servants talk about? Drilling for more pollutants in a wildlife refuge. Great idea. One sure way to break our nation's "addiction" to oil is to... get more of it! I think the great irony of this is that in the US, when someone has an addiction to something, rarely do we rehabilitate this person, but we throw him/her in jail to think about how the drugs they bought contributed to terrorism and are illegal. On the other hand, if a human is addicted to oil, we figure out a way to get the expensive fix less expensive and more available. Who cares if we kill a few caribou along the way! Almost as stupid as selling beer at gas stations. Here, take a 24-pack, crack a few open, and drive head-on into an innocent 45-year-old with 2 kids!

Of course, we couldn't dare tap into our massive oil reserves, which we're holding onto in case of some apocalypse. Do we really need all of that? Use it all up, and if we have to run our military vehicles on biodiesel, hydrogen, or natural gas, so be it. Once it's gone, it's gone - no more addiction, no more oil shortage, no more problem. Oil will be like diamonds, and the government will bring down the price of alternative fuel vehicles, pump up the public transportation, and things will actually change. Oh, and the oil companies: no more massive profits. How beautiful the world would be.

The other thing I heard in the news was an oil spill in the Mississippi. Another event that could have been prevented by not using oil. There Will Be Blood was right: oil sucks.

1 comment:

Sinny said...

Did you hear about how the oil was spilled because the captain of one of the ships had left his post and left the apprentice in charge?