Saturday, July 19, 2008

It Never Rains in LA

It's creepy. Every morning, it's cloudy and cool, and yet it never rains. I woke up this morning and was sure it was raining outside. In fact, I even deluded myself into thinking there were drops of rain on the porch. I worried about it because yesterday, we began the task of repacking my boxes so that when we move, they are packed in a logical way, and so all of my worldly possessions were sitting out on the patio. Had it rained, my stuff would have been soaked, and it would have been a disaster. Fortunately for me, it never rains here.

I've been pondering what that means for a city. I have concluded it somehow cheapens the sunshine. How can one appreciate a beautiful day if it is never ugly? At home in New Jersey, there's interesting things going on on summer nights. Sure, it's hot and humid all day, but at night, it almost always storms and there's great lightning and refreshing coolness. Under the street lights, one marvels at the evaporating moisture steaming off the asphalt after a heavy rain, covering the streets in a London-like fog. It's poetic. Here, nothing like that happens. I think it's sad. Like the celebrities who live here, the weather seems artificial. Bad things are happening all over the world, but here in Los Angeles, nothing's wrong. Weird.

Anyhoo, now that the self-reflection portion of my blog is over, let me present to you the rest of my pictures! These are from Yosemite National Park. After that was my friend's wedding. I'll do those at a later date. Basically, Yosemite is everything a park should be. Lots of trees, waterfalls, and mountains. Perfect.





























































































































1 comment:

Gemma said...

Holy cow I found your blog! Anyway, I enjoyed that post. Why? Because I disagree with you and yet. . . . agree with you. Okay that was poorly phrased but I haven't had my cup of coffee yet.
I think that a lack of rain in LA does not cheapen the sunshine, instead it means that LA is more like a desert than, say, New Jersey. I find that I still do appreciate lovely days because not every day in LA is lovely. Especially with the air quality we have had in California this summer (all the fires and such) a clear day is worth everything.
But you are right, for someone used to summer rain I can see how it is creepy. Interestingly enough, I find summer rain to be quite creepy. Rain has no business hanging out in my sunshine season. But if you want a weather change from LA, I recommend the Bay Area, not that I need to sell you on that point, for just last night I drove over to my nearest beach and it was completely covered in fog. It was beautiful and I had to use my windshield wipers. Not rain, but it is something.
Okay, move up here now.